There is just over a fortnight until you shall be assembling in the halls of your sixth forms, colleges or schools to tear open those envelopes to (I’m crossing my fingers and toes here!) discover that all the hard work has paid off and you can call yourself a future Queen Mary Student. As such, I figured that you may like to hear what was going through my head in the lead up to results day and listen to a great piece of advice that my Head of Sixth Form passed onto me and my peers two years ago.
My summer after A-Levels was a completely blissful one. There was not a worry or trouble on my mind and in all honestly, the thought of results day barely entered my continence until around this time two years ago. As August hit, the date was all of a sudden within touching distance.
It is all well and good knowing full well that you could not have worked any harder for your results, yet despite that we can often not help but to think, what if?
Fortunately, my sixth form had drilled it into our brains that you need to answer that “What if?” question with a solid plan B. So, if the worst does come to the worst and you haven’t met your needed grades, you know what you are going to do to handle the situation as best as possible.
For myself, as a lover of exploring new places and cultures in as many countries as possible, I had decided that if I hadn’t made the cut to come to QM, I wouldn’t be satisfied going to a different University with lower asking grades and instead had settled on the prospect of training as an air-hostess at my local college and subsequently being able to travel through that as opposed to through my degree.
I really advise you all to have a backup plan. Your plan B doesn’t have to by any means be a set career through a different qualification as mine was. It could simply involve having the telephone numbers of university’s you liked but had lower asking grades than the ones you were offered to secure your place with us. Having these numbers to hand means that as soon as you know your grades, you can get ahead of the clearing process and hopefully secure your place at another University. As an aside, even if you haven’t met your offer – it is 100% worth ringing up The School of Geography to see if they can assist you. I shall be writing a blog on clearance a day or two before you get your results so more on that later…
Having a plan B is reassuring. Even if you don’t need to fall back on it, it will give you peace of mind and stop those nervous feelings.
I apologise if any of the above sounded at all pessimistic! We just want to help you in every way possible and sometimes being frank about unfortunate situations is important. Anyway, I am sure that you I shall be meeting you all within a matter of weeks!
Good luck with them and do let us know how you get on!